Resource Furniture New York is New York City's premier source for European multifunctional furniture and transforming furniture including the finest Italian wall bed systems (or Murphy beds) available anywhere in the world. Our wall beds are designed and made in Italy by Clei, the global leader in transforming furniture for more than 50 years. Clei wall bed systems feature a wide range of customization options and are the slimmest wall bed systems possible. They are so reliable that we offer a lifetime warranty on all mechanisms. Resource Furniture New York also carries a wide selection of transforming tables, fine, Italian sofas and sectionals, seating, office solutions and much more.
The expert Resource Furniture New York team looks forward to seeing you in the showroom!
Special Note: Help us help you! Make your visit as successful as possible by bringing floorplans or room measurements with you to the showroom.
969 Third Avenue at 58th Street
New York, NY 10022
open in google maps
Already a customer (thank you! we love you!) and need information or help with your product?
Click here for answers to our FAQs. Or just call us-we would love to answer your questions in person.
If you’re looking for Murphy beds in New York City, you are in the right place. Resource Furniture is your best resource for all things wall bed or Murphy bed in New York.
We offer a wide range of wall beds and other transforming furniture options perfect for your New York home, no matter what the square footage.
Why Choose a Wall Bed?
You have many bed options, whether you live in a small efficiency apartment in New York City or a spacious ranch in a suburb. So, what makes wall beds so special? Many things, in fact. Because they are so versatile, Murphy beds and wall beds increase the flexibility of your living space, allowing you to live efficiently whether you’re in a New York studio, a New Jersey condo – or a beach house on Long Island
Here are a few of our favorite benefits of choosing a wall bed:
- Reduced environmental impact: Wall beds let you live comfortably in a home with a smaller design. Occupying a smaller space decreases your carbon footprint. You use less energy because you have fewer appliances, light fixtures and other energy demands. Smaller homes are easier to heat and cool to minimize your energy use in that respect.
When you choose a Murphy bed made from sustainable materials, you reduce your environmental impact even more.
- Better living in small spaces: Transforming furniture and wall beds let you live better in your home, no matter what the size. When space is limited, a wall bed helps you maximize every square inch of your home. By closing the bed when you’re not sleeping, you can use the floor space for another purpose. You may be surprised how many different activities and functions you can fit into one space with the addition of a wall bed, especially one that incorporates other elements like a sofa or a table.
- Improved quality of life: Murphy beds in NYC help you live better in a small space, which improves your overall quality of life. You also minimize your carbon footprint and your cost of living, so you can feel great about your choices. Easing that financial burden and knowing you’re benefiting the environment gives you a sense of freedom that makes life a little more enjoyable. Many people feel greater satisfaction by living with less.
- Flexible space use: Wall beds are ideal for people at all stages of life: millennials just starting out, parents of young kids, empty nesters exploring flexible room arrangement options or grandparents who host grandchildren. No matter what stage of life you are in, the flexibility and functionality of wall beds work with your situation. And wall beds can grow with you, keeping your space flexible as your needs change. When you have kids at home, Murphy beds give them more play space in their bedrooms. After they move out, you have a flexible guest room that can be used as an office, craft room or other space.
Why We Love Wall Beds in NYC
If you live in New York City, we don’t have to tell you how much even a small space costs. Of course, living in a small space is worth it to experience the city life. Small living quarters with a high price tag simply means you have to get a little creative with your furniture choices and layout options to make it work for you.
A growing trend is to choose location over housing details, such as square footage or amenities. For many people, being in a city like New York is much more important than having a large home. The average square footage is slowly decreasing, with studio and one-bedroom apartments becoming more popular, even in newer developments.
In New York and other expensive cities, micro-units around 350 square feet are becoming popular. In fact, those micro-units often have a higher demand than larger units do. In short, more people are choosing to live with less space.
NYC Murphy beds are perfect for the growing trend of shrinking spaces. They let you transform your space based on your current activity, letting you fit more into your space. You can opt for a micro-unit in New York and still fit in everything you need to live well. Your wall bed gives you a dedicated sleeping space without having a bulky bed in the middle of your apartment during the day.
Another benefit of modern wall beds in New York is the ease of use. A counterbalance system and strong, efficient mechanisms make the bed raise and lower with ease. You don’t need strong muscles to put your bed away from the day. The bed stays securely in place, whether it’s folded against the wall or folded down in bed position. This safety feature means you never have to worry about the bed falling on you or getting folded up in the bed while you lie on it.
When paired with other transforming furniture, a wall bed can make your New York apartment feel just as large as a single-family home in a suburb. A transforming table gives you a dedicated spot to eat without taking up valuable space, for example. Space-saving storage keeps your belongings organized.
Where Did Wall Beds Come From?
The idea of the wall bed and other transforming furniture is not new. Space has always been a concern in New York City and other expensive areas. Builders began integrating special features into smaller apartments, so renters could still have the amenities they were accustomed to having even in a smaller space. Things such as built-in ironing boards and Murphy beds became standard in many apartments.
Sometimes called door beds, Murphy beds were often included in apartments by many builders in the 1920s. The bed folded up against the wall with doors to close over the bed to make it seem to disappear. This allowed builders to create smaller spaces while still giving the tenants functional sleeping areas. These beds were particularly popular in efficiency apartments that didn’t have dedicated bedrooms.
The first official patent for Murphy beds came about in the early 1900s. The story goes that William Murphy came up with the bed idea due to the challenges caused by social norms at the time. Although women weren’t supposed to enter men’s bedrooms if they weren’t married, Murphy lived in a simple one-room apartment with no designated sleeping space. He got around this rule by creating the Murphy bed. He could change the room from a bedroom to a parlor when his love interest visited, so she wasn’t technically in his bedroom. The story has a happy conclusion. The two married, and Murphy patented a successful bed solution that is still popular today.
While they’ve been around for quite some time, New York wall beds have also come a long way in terms of features, safety and functionality. But the basic concept remains the same. The mattress rests on a frame, and the entire unit folds up against the wall when not in use. However, you can find many different features and additions in today’s models.
While the original folded up into a closet to “disappear” during the day, any of today’s models double as other furniture or have decorative designs on the back to become an artistic display when folded.
Do We Sell Wall Beds or Murphy Beds?
The short answer: We sell both. Murphy beds and wall beds are essentially the same. Murphy beds were named after the man who patented the designs for a bed that folds up against the wall, William Lawrence Murphy. A wall bed is just a broader term to describe this style of bed.
Design and customization options have come a long way since the original Murphy bed. The original design was a simple full-size mattress on a metal frame. The bed folded up into a closet when not in use. While this simple version is still an option today, we’ve come a long way in expanding the options to maximize your space even more. Wall beds are now available with multiple extra features, so you can use the area for multiple tasks.
Some of the options for additional features include:
- Dining tables
As much as we love wall beds, they’re not the only thing we sell. Resource Furniture offers several different furniture pieces all with the goal of saving space, so you can live better in the space you have. Some of the other furniture pieces to make your space more efficient and functional include:
- Space-saving tables: We have several different styles of tables that serve multiple purposes or fold away when not in use. Options include coffee tables that rise to serve as a dining space, folding tables, and tables that fold up against the wall similar to a wall bed. You can also get a combination wall bed and table.
- Storage: We offer many storage spaces that let you get the most out of your space, including various styles of shelves and closet systems.
- Home office solutions: Trying to figure out how to work in a home office in a small space? We have desk options that take up little space and fold up into a cabinet when not in use. If you have a little more space, our collection of traditional office furniture offers more options.
- Seating: Upgrade the seating in your home with our selection of European-made seating. Options include sofas, sectionals, occasional seating, armchairs, recliners, dining chairs and bar stools. You can also opt for a wall bed that has an integrated sofa to double up on functionality.
What Makes Resource Furniture Who We Are?
We are your go-to for New York Murphy beds for a combination of reasons, from the quality of the products we sell to our commitment to making the world a better place. Anyone can sell furniture, but we set the bar higher. We work hard to ensure we minimize our impact on the environment, while making it easier to live your life more efficiently. You can feel good about your purchase, knowing our company works hard to make the world better. Here’s what sets us apart from the crowd:
Commitment to Sustainability
We’re committed to increasing efficiency while minimizing greenhouse gas emissions to protect our environment. We do that by selling sustainable furniture, helping people leave a smaller environmental footprint. We work with non-profits and educational institutions to support efficient, flexible housing for greater sustainability. It’s more than a marketing tactic. We truly believe in the mission of improving sustainability and reducing our impact on the environment.
But our commitment to sustainability goes beyond helping you live with less. The materials and manufacturing processes that go into many of the products we sell support our sustainability goals.
The Clei furniture we offer has many sustainable characteristics:
- Stringent, eco-friendly manufacturing standards with at least 90% recyclable materials
- Water-based, non-toxic lacquers free of solvents and formaldehyde
- LED lighting to minimize energy consumption
- Ultra-high-tech manufacturing to capture sawdust and gas byproducts
Magniflex mattresses also offer sustainable features, including:
- Water-expanded foams free of solvents and without off-gassing
- 100% non-toxic and biodegradable materials
- Vacuum packing to create compact packages for efficient shipping
We use a flat-packed shipping method to maximize shipping efficiency. This method gives our shipments a small cubic measurement to further reduce our environmental impact.
When you purchase from Resource Furniture, you can feel confident in the quality of your new furniture pieces. Investing in high-quality products benefits your wallet and the environment. Inferior furniture breaks down much faster. Old furniture ends up in the landfill, and you have to buy something new.
We solve that problem by only selling high-quality products that last. If something does go wrong, we can often replace the specific component causing the problem rather than replacing the entire piece.
Human Rights Commitment
Our commitment to protecting human rights extends to all companies we work with throughout our global supply chain. We only work with companies who also commit to treating employees fairly and with dignity.
We also respect the people who work for us. We do this by providing a safe, healthy environment in which they feel valued and appreciated. You can feel good knowing that everyone who has a hand in your new furniture works under safe, fair conditions.
Why Choose Resource Furniture for Your Murphy/Wall Bed Needs?
The idea of living better even in a small space is nothing new. NYC wall beds have been around for decades. With the trend toward smaller apartments, the need for wall beds and other transforming furniture is also growing.
If you’re ready to minimize your carbon footprint, maximize space and live better in the space you have, our wall beds can help you get there. Browse our selection or find a showroom near you to check out the options from Resource Furniture.
View Larger Map